Username: Password:
  Create an account Home  ·  Game Manager  ·  Forums  ·  Your Account  
Login
Username

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one.

Site Sections
· Home
· Game Manager
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Game Manager
· Your games
· Waiting games
· Create new game
· Running games
· Completed games

Recent News

MaBiWeb: Forums

MaBiWeb :: View topic - what is to come
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is to come

View previous topic :: View next topic  
siegfried_cf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: what is to come Reply with quote

Hi Massimo

i am wondering, since this website has been running since 2006, what plans do you have for it in the years to come.
Perhaps you wanna implement new games?
Maybe you only wanna maintain the existing? For how long more?
New Nations expansion is hopefully out this year. Would you, hypothetically, consider implementing it to this site?
How is the traffic on this site in terms of registered users and played games? stable/growing/decreasing?

Thanks
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: what is to come Reply with quote

siegfried_cf wrote:
Perhaps you wanna implement new games?

No, I'm not working anymore on mabiweb, neither new games nor site improvements. Maybe I will change my mind in the future but currently there is no plan for new developments.
This site has always been just my little personal hobby, and it's a bit of a miracle that it lasted so long. A "real" play-by-web site would require at least a small team of developers, not just one person, but it was never my intent to create something like that: I wanted my own little hobby site where I could do just what I liked, with no pressure and no commitments (I never even asked for donations to pay the hosting costs).

Quote:
Maybe you only wanna maintain the existing? For how long more?

I will maintain the existing site as long as it costs very little (in terms of work, not money), as it has been for the past years. There is some risk because the site is very old (old framework, old php version, old database) and at some point it could be necessary to make an upgrade requiring a lot of work.

Quote:
New Nations expansion is hopefully out this year. Would you, hypothetically, consider implementing it to this site?

It's very unlikely. As I said above, I'm not working anymore on mabiweb and even if I was it would probably be very difficult, implementing Dynasties was a nightmare (so many effects, all the base game rules were changed by some card). Anyway, the complexity would of course depend on the expansion, which I know nothing about.

Quote:
How is the traffic on this site in terms of registered users and played games? stable/growing/decreasing?

Before I implemented Nations the site was basically dying, with just a few games of Year of the Dragon regularly played (the other games are too old/obscure) and I was on the verge of shutting it down. Then I found Nations and I liked it so much that I wanted to have it available online. I hoped it would be implemented at Yucata, where I play all my online games, but when I realized it was not going to happen I decided to do it myself.
Nations is a popular game and even here there are usually 2-300 games running, on a large site like yucata or bga there would be a lot more, and it has been more or less stable for the past year.
So basically now mabiweb is just the site where one can play Nations. I will try to maintain it at least until an alternative will be available, I still hope it will come up somewhere else sooner or later.
Javi36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information, I would like to really thank you for implementing and maintaining the web. I am using now to enjoy ItYotD, where you can find really good players in my opinion, but in the past I also used it for Mykerinos and Kreta, both great games (but I agree, maybe too old for the public now).
I am very grateful to have a site where I can play one of my favourite games ever, so I certainly encourage you to keep it alive as long as you wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaBiWeb Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: