Username: Password:
  Create an account Home  ·  Game Manager  ·  Forums  ·  Your Account  
Login
Username

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one.

Site Sections
· Home
· Game Manager
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Game Manager
· Your games
· Waiting games
· Create new game
· Running games
· Completed games

Recent News

MaBiWeb: Forums

MaBiWeb :: View topic - Samurai update: choose your color
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samurai update: choose your color

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Samurai update: choose your color Reply with quote

Most of you should be familiar with the feeling of 'color confusion' in PBW games, especially those who play a lot of games: in every game you have a different random color, and the first thing you always have to do after loading the page is checking which color do I have here? Red, blue, yellow?.

In new Samurai games there will be an option allowing you to assign colors to players, so you can choose your preferred one. All players will have their own customized view, so there will not be anymore a unique identification between players and colors.
You can also set your default color preference, which will be automatically assigned to you in all your future games.

This option will be available only in new Samurai games, not in those already created.

Comments, suggestions for improvements and bug reports are welcome, as always.

MaBi
Pheros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. Thanks! That should be a great help. Is this an option that activates when the game is created or when it is started?
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be used any time during the game.
At game start you get the standard colors (or your default preference if you have set one), and then you can change them whenever you want.
kwojtasz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Awesome idea! Reply with quote

Great idea!
mrbass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome stuff. Only suggestion I have is to prevent two players from having the same color. Error it out if they select two or more players having the same color. Currently you can do so even though it'd be idiotic to do so. Just saying.
spearjr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
awesome stuff. Only suggestion I have is to prevent two players from having the same color. Error it out if they select two or more players having the same color. Currently you can do so even though it'd be idiotic to do so. Just saying.

Yes, I was in doubt whether to add this check or not, but in the end I gave up because it's a bit of work and in any case there is no harm done: for the server it's not a problem and for the player... he can just change it back. But maybe I will add it.
frarobertooo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!
solearis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

...I have an idea about fixing the problem where two or more players happends to have the same color.....
...there should be added a pair of flags to each game and player who enteres it: player name-color preference...
...when a player enteres a game, his log will be compared with all player names, who are in that particular game, if there is a match (the player is playing in this game, not only viewing it), then his color would be assigned to him...
...the colors of other players would be set by the remainder of the colors, sorted in some sort of queue....

for example, there are 4 players:
solearis, MaBi, mschacht and Istar1307

the color preferences are set as follows:
solearis - blue,
MaBi - blue
mschacht - yellow
Istar 1307 - blue

the colors are sorted in the queue like this:
blue, red, yellow, green

how will the players view the game:

1.solearis:
solearis will take the blue, because it is his preset color and he's viewing the game right now;
mschacht will appear to every player as yellow, because he's preset color is yellow AND NO OTHER player has taken this color as preset;
in queue of colors there are 2 colors left: red and green;
for solearis MaBi will appear as red, because MaBi's color preference is taken AND in the colors queue the red is the first untaken color;
Istar1307 will take the last unasigned color and would appear to solearis as green, because Istar1307's preset color is also taken

2.MaBi:
MaBi will take the blue, because it is his preset color and he's viewing the game right now;
mschacht will appear to every player as yellow, because he's preset color is yellow AND NO OTHER player has taken this color as preset;
for MaBi solearis will appear as red, because solearis's color preference is taken AND in the colors queue the red is the first untaken color;
Istar1307 will take the last unasigned color and would appear to MaBi as green, because Istar1307's preset color is also taken

3.mschacht:
mschacht will take the yellow, because it is his preset color and he's viewing the game right now;
in queue of colors there are 3 colors left: blue, red and green;
for mschacht solearis will appear as blue, because there is more then one player with the same color preference AND in the colors queue the blue is the first untaken color;
for mschacht MaBi will appear as red, because MaBi's color preference is taken AND in the colors queue the red is the first untaken color;
Istar1307 will take the last unasigned color and would appear to mschacht as green, because Istar1307's preset color is also taken

4.Istar1307:
Istar1307 will take the blue, because it is his preset color and he's viewing the game right now;
for Istar1307 solearis will appear as red, because solearis's color preference is taken AND in the colors queue the red is the first untaken color;
MaBi will take the last unasigned color and would appear to Istar1307 as green, because MaBi's preset color is also taken

...ok, I hope it's not to confusing :wink: and I hope it helps...
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion Reply with quote

solearis wrote:
...I have an idea about fixing the problem where two or more players happends to have the same color.....

No, there is no such problem, maybe you have not tried the new feature yet?
You get to choose not only your color but the other players' too. You have your own personal view of the game, where you can assign the colors at will, for each player. And of course it's the same for all the other players, each having their custom view.
The '2 players with the same color' problem happens if you, in your own view, choose to assign the same color to more than one player. This is allowed in the current interface, you can even assign the same color to all players if you want, but it would be silly, and if you do it by mistake you can just change it back. No problem at all.
Visitors (users not participating in the game) will always see the standard colors: first player in red, second blue, third yellow and fourth green.

Hope it is clear, in any case just try it: it's easier to do than to explain :).
snoozefest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: generalizing? Reply with quote

Is there a way to set a color preference for yourself in all games? It would be nice to go to my profile and say I like YELLOW always (and randomize other players' colors unless I say differently, on a per-game basis).
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can set your default preferences and they will take effect in all your future games (but it won't change those already running).
I haven't put a link in the profile yet, so at the moment you need to start a Samurai game and access the option from there. I will probably add it in the future.
solearis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Update suggestion... Reply with quote

...I believe that this sort of update should be good to Richelieu too... :wink:
Elminster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be great for all other games !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaBiWeb Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: