Username: Password:
  Create an account Home  ·  Game Manager  ·  Forums  ·  Your Account  
Login
Username

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one.

Site Sections
· Home
· Game Manager
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Game Manager
· Your games
· Waiting games
· Create new game
· Running games
· Completed games

Recent News

MaBiWeb: Forums

MaBiWeb :: View topic - Shadow of the Emperor: open beta-testing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shadow of the Emperor: open beta-testing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Shadow of the Emperor: open beta-testing Reply with quote

Hi,
first of all, I want to thank all the players who have been helping in the beta-testing of Shadow of the Emperor in the last weeks. Thanks to them more than a few bugs have been found and fixed and the interface has been improved.

The game seems fairly stable now, so I think that the next step will require a lot more testing games in order to find the little bugs occurring in rare and unusual circumstances. For this reason I have opened the game to everyone, so new Shadow Emperor games can be created like all the others.

But be aware that the game is still in beta-testing, only 15 games have been completed so far (most of them 2-players), so some problems can be expected.
As always, comments, suggestions and bug reports are welcome.

MaBi
mrbass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetness let the games begin. Mabi from a programming viewpoint you are to be commended for an excellent job. So many variables on this one it's hard to wrap a finger around. Ok I'm gonna guess but the code looks something like this

Code:

IF situation A occurs DO event A235

IF situation A occurs WHILE situation H occurs DO event C763
 ONLY IF event F873 hasn't yet occured.

IF situation Y occurs WHILE in PHASE IIII or is it IV
 DO event nuke bomb and blow this thing up.
bruboo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Viewing running and completed games Reply with quote

When I try to view a running or completed game it's giving me a raspberry emoticon.

Can we not view these games while it's in beta?
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's certainly the most complex game I have done so far: the source code is 167 KB at the moment (it will probably increase still a bit, not too much I hope).
For comparison:
Richelieu 38 KB
Hansa 55 KB
Samurai 71 KB (with some overhead due to the 3 different maps, the core is probably like Hansa)

So Shadow of the Emperor is more than the other three games together.
Time to go back to more comfortable sizes :).
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Viewing running and completed games Reply with quote

bruboo wrote:
When I try to view a running or completed game it's giving me a raspberry emoticon.

Can we not view these games while it's in beta?

Ooops... I forgot to remove that... will be ok in a moment.
LudesFactor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBi, thanks for all your hard work ... noticed some changes and improvements even as my current ItSotE game progressed.

... is it too early for you to hint what's next on your agenda for implementation?
tomlynch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mabi for creating an excellent interface and allowing us to use it. Your work is top notch and you should know that it is very much appreciated.

tomlynch
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LudesFactor wrote:
... is it too early for you to hint what's next on your agenda for implementation?

The next game is already decided, but it's a bit too early to announce, I haven't yet started to work on it and I prefer to wait. I'm not sure how much spare time I will have in next weeks, could be a very busy period (and after all, the point of all this work is to play the games, so that takes precedence over development :D).

Usually before starting a new game I coordinate with people at SpielByWeb, in order to avoid duplications, but in this case it's a rather obscure game, no risk of doubles...
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime spielbyweb puts a new addition locked forum like they did about 2 weeks ago with Maharaja...that's going on my next order for sure. Also when you announced awhile ago In the Shadow of the Emperor might be the next game I placed an order for it right away too. Yes playing the games is where it's at. If I were you give us obscure hints as heck every week or so but don't say if anyone got it right or not. Your first hint I'll take a guess at.

These are my educated guesses as to what the game could be your thinking of working on next:

Carolus Magnus

Doge

Ende des Triumvirats, Das

Industrial Waste

Kreta

Mykerinos

Sticheln
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:
These are my educated guesses as to what the game could be your thinking of working on next:

Carolus Magnus

Doge

Industrial Waste

Kreta

Mykerinos

Sticheln

Ah, clever! You checked my collection over at BGG: it can't be a coincidence that I own all the games you mentioned :) (be careful though, some of the games I have in my collection are 'early mistakes' that I now strongly dislike and haven't yet been able to get rid of).
Anyway, your guesses are very good because all of them are in my 'possible candidates for PBW' list (except Sticheln, a PBW card game? Could it work?). And I can tell you that Maharaja was on top of my list, a fantastic game and imho perfect for PBW, but I'm sure that Ryan and Myke will do a very good job at SbW.
mrbass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a coincidence I swear....nah you found me out. Regardless I'm sure we'll love whatever you choose. Personally I can never work on my website or do something that I don't have personal motivation and passion for. I'm sure it's the same with you...if you don't love the game personally not much point in cranking it out. Out of my guesses these are my hopes it's one of these:

Ende des Triumvirats, Das (3 player only though...ah who cares San Marco is too)

Kreta (been hearing good things about this area influence one...I love China but this one has you moving influence around)

Mykerinos (played my 2nd game tonight with 4 players....good game with lots of replayability)

But who knows it's probably an 'obscure' game like you said and I'm sure it'll be a diamond in the rough just waiting to fully bloom once exposed to more playability by the gaming public at large.
ekted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbass wrote:

I have a Vassal module for this 95% done. Zev (Z-Man) said it was ok with him that I post it, but that I should check with Hanno (Lookout). Multiple emails to Hanno (and a message through Zev himself) has yielded no reply. If you manage to contact him, tell him to contact me, please. :)
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekted wrote:
If you manage to contact him, tell him to contact me, please. :)

In this case mrbass' guess is wrong (they all are) and I'm not working on Das Ende des Triumvirats, so I'm not in contact with anyone.
ges

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MaBi, this is a beautiful implementation of this game. Thanks!

tomlynch wrote:
Thanks Mabi for creating an excellent interface and allowing us to use it. Your work is top notch and you should know that it is very much appreciated.

tomlynch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaBiWeb Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: