Username: Password:
  Create an account Home  ·  Game Manager  ·  Forums  ·  Your Account  
Login
Username

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one.

Site Sections
· Home
· Game Manager
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Game Manager
· Your games
· Waiting games
· Create new game
· Running games
· Completed games

Recent News

MaBiWeb: Forums

MaBiWeb :: View topic - Game Stats
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Stats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
americaneagle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Game Stats Reply with quote

Has 'Game Stats' been removed? Clicking on a Player's name and seeing their Stats really helps to know the games they are playing. That gives a good indicator if they will complete their games.
LordChambers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's an experiment to see if it removes the incentive for players to stop playing in a game where a loss is likely, such as XEROX appears to here. Wink
ludita

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss game stats. I really liked it. And I think the ones who stop playing mostly stop because of losing interest. Removing game stats doesn't help for that
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I removed the stats.
In this post from 2006(!) I expressed my opinion on players ranking, stats and the like:
http://www.mabiweb.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80

In that post I said "I'm a bit worried that even current single player's stats could be too much. I'm ready to remove them as soon as I have the slightest feeling that they represent a problem". And finally after 12 years the time has come.
americaneagle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand not tracking Player's wins and loses. What about tracking the games players are currently playing and the games they have completed and abandoned?
LordChambers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

americaneagle wrote:
I understand not tracking Player's wins and loses. What about tracking the games players are currently playing and the games they have completed and abandoned?

I would love to know how many games have timed-out (abandoned) on someone's turn, but what could I do with that information? If someone joins a table I started and I don't like his or her record, I might be able to cancel it before it starts. But I probably won't be able to since they start automatically. With no means to kick someone from a table, this information is only useful to decide when joining an existing game.

The inability to boot a player from a table, or concede a game voluntarily, has left me deliberately timing a game out. I asked in the table "comment" that "Please don't join if you can't play ~2 turns per day." I was prepared to be flexible--sometimes people travel away from the internet--but happened to be playing with someone who was taking over 24 hours to take a turn and had a bad reputation for doing so in a prior game with me. I asked that player if he anticipated playing at that pace for the coming weeks, and his replies were somewhat hostile and probably for lulz. Inscrutable and disregarding mostly. Fair enough! But I decided, more or less with the other disappointed players, to abandon the game. So I would have an abandoned game on my record, which speaks to its imprecision as a metric for determining who to play with.

Whether Mabi restores that kind of tracking or not, I have a suggestion. A superior tool for knowing what to expect when joining a table is the "Currently 'Nations' running games". You can ctrl+f search for a player's handle on that list. If they have games that are days old don't join a table they're at. In theory, anyway. In practice, the chance of a player joining a table while having a days-old game is unlikely. The big contribution Mabi could make to help would allow players to see which accounts are registered from the same IPs, but that introduces other problems for individuals who share the same routers, VPNs, or public computers.

If I had the technical skills I'd write something that reads this page and computes an average turn-time for each player over the last week, month, quarter, and year. And it would automatically message eligible players for a league. But, to limit griefing such a password league would require accounts to have completed a minimum number of games and existed for a minimum amount of time. The lower the minimums the easier it is for someone who gets excluded to create a new account and grief again. The higher these minimums the less friendly the site is for new players. In the long run, new players are more critical to our fun than avoiding poor sports.
americaneagle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When player's create a new game, its impossible to tell if the creator of the game and those players joining that game are currently playing in any other games and if they complete their games. To me, Online gaming is only fun when players make moves regularly and complete their games. I understand not keeping stats for wins and loses. Yet keeping good stats of games players are in, do they make moves regularly and do they complete their games would be really helpful when deciding to join a game.

MABI you did a great job with this site. Just letting you know how I feel about joining games with unknown players.
LordChambers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

americaneagle wrote:
its impossible to tell if the creator of the game and those players joining that game are currently playing in any other games and if they complete their games.

Not quite. Instead of clicking a players name, now you need to click Running Games and use ctrl + f to search the player's name. If that player has a pile of games on the bottom of this least, think twice before joining. I think that's the best way to protect your time. You could instead ctrl + f search the player in Completed Games
, but you can only see the last ~70 days.
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I can easily do is to prevent players joining or creating new games while it is their turn to move in some running game. But it wouldn't really be that much helpful: a player can make all his moves, join a bunch of new games and then abandon the lost games again.
AzrgExplorers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy would it be to also prevent players from making moves in "fresh" games when it's their turn to move in "stale" games? Where a fresh game is one that's been waiting on the player for less than, say, 2 days, while a stale game has been waiting for the player longer than that. This wouldn't do anything about the usual people who join a couple games, make a couple moves, and then disappear, but it could address the players who join lots of games and only make moves in games they're doing well in. Not sure if this is exactly the right way to do it (I can imagine unintended consequences), but just a suggestion to throw out there.
MaBi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on "Yucata" gaming site they adopt this system, forcing players to always move on the "oldest" game. There are some drawbacks, and people complaining, but I guess it could be useful. Unfortunately it's not easy to implement here, I don't know if I will ever take the time to do something like that (forcing this only when your oldest game is 1 or 2 days old could be a good compromise).
americaneagle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mabi, Yucata system is ok, yet not the solution.
I also agree with Mabi on not keeping stats on Wins and Loses.
I would like to see Stats on games players are currently in and games completed. Bonus, average # of moves a day (or average move time:-)
Sten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mitigation might be to prevent a new user from joining too many games before they realise the committment required?
Maybe allow a player to have a maximum of (3 + #completed) games running of a given type. Best to keep the formula simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaBiWeb Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: